Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What's Your Marathon? Passing the Test

I was trade name new to running, living with diabetes and preparation for my first marathon. As my first diagnostic test run, I entered a 5K race called, "Run for the Cure," in support of breast malignant neoplastic disease research. It was the first of respective obstructions I encountered, long before I even started the marathon. Here's what helped:

Facing Fears - The nighttime before the 5K race, my ideas were racing with concerns about what to make in the morning, what I should eat, and what other people were going to believe when they saw me at the run.

You see, I didn't suit my ain mental image of what a smuggler looks like, and I fully expected that as soon as I walked up to the start line, everyone would halt talking, point, gaze and laugh.

My imaginativeness was running wild. Even with my good support system and so much clip and attempt set into silencing interior and outer critics and edifice up my belief, those fearfulnesses were as existent as ever. I wanted to conceal out and phone call it off.

I knew I had to confront them and challenge them; that I wouldn't be able to make and construct impulse from a foundation of fear. I had to acquire the belief back. So I showed up for the race.

When I did, I saw smugglers all forms and sizes, and more than importantly I saw the marks people carried about the grounds they were running. I looked around and realized they probably had similar fearfulnesses and thoughts, and the fact that we were all facing them together helped me a lot.

We can't allow fearfulness halt us from starting. If we make we've allow it overcome us.

Clearing Hurdles - With any end you have, in any country of life, you'll confront obstacles. It's important to believe ahead and come up up with schemes to defeat then. And just as of import is what we make with the obstructions we didn't predict.

Early on in my training, my greatest obstructions were the sensitive musculuses and pain. It reminded me of my first clip on the water ice to play field hockey after the summertime break.

Managing my diabetes and blood refined refined sugar degrees was another obstruction - I had blood sugar clangs and spikes and reconciliation my diet was a changeless challenge.

But the greatest obstruction of all came just two calendar months before I was scheduled to run the endurance contest in Rome. I was playing field hockey and I dislocated my shoulder. The hurting was incredible - I knew right away that my original clip framework was no longer possible. I wasn't allowed to run for 10 weeks.

I didn't allow it halt me; I did what I could to maintain up my training, by riding the motorcycle and walking. I accepted the state of affairs and just saw it as a postponement. As soon as I could, I started running again. With the solid foundation of preparation I'd had, it wasn't like starting again. I put my sights on the George Vancouver marathon, just 10 hebdomads away.

Reset - Running was really painful with that dislocated shoulder, and so I needed to refocus and acquire connected to why I was doing the endurance contest in the first place.

It's wish that after any setback. Take eating, for example. You can do some unhealthy picks but then refocus and acquire right back on track. We all have got our small slumps, from athletics hard roes to every twenty-four hours folks.

I used to work in a restaurant, where each waiter was responsible for 8 or 9 tables. We might have got three sets of people at each tabular array per night, and each tabular array would be a completely different experience.

In between sittings, we had to make clean the tabular array and reset it for the adjacent group. No substance how good or bad each sitting was, they left and we would reset for a new experience.

After my injury, reverse in my preparation agenda and lacking the Roma marathon, I had to refocus on my end and "reset the table." Life offers a series of tests, obstructions and challenges. How will you ran into them?

(c) Ted Shawn Shepheard, 2007.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home